Lockport Emmanuel United Methodist Church

Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors

 

Welcome to Lockport Emmanuel United Methodist Church

 

History of Emmanuel United Methodist Church  

 
 

              

 

   
    

Our Church Building has stood at the corner of East Avenue and Washburn Street since 1928. However, Emmanuel and its predecessors have been an active congregation even longer, since the Ridgeway Circuit riders of 1816.      
 
Built in 1824, our first church building (First Methodist Episcopal Church) was a small frame building erected on a lot at the edge of a forest.  Located on Genesee Street, between Pine and Cottage Streets, the building was twice added onto, but the congregation continued to outgrow it. In 1833 the lot and the building were exchanged for a lot on the north-east corner of Church and Niagara Streets where the congregation built a fine brick church.    
 
During the night of November 4, 1854, a fire (which had started in a grog shop) destroyed the church and many Lockport businesses. The congregation resolved to rebuild and for four and a half years worshipped “pillar to post” in different locations. Rebuild they did, dedicating a new church building on February 22, 1859. The steeple was completed ten years later, and the building enlarged twice to accommodate the organs.         
 
After seventy years of worship, the congregation outgrew the building and, after much consideration, purchased a lot on the corner of East Avenue and Washburn street in 1925.  Ground was broken on October 1, 1927 and construction began. The cornerstone was laid on Palm Sunday 1928. On December 30, 1928, the congregation bid farewell to their “old” church on December 30, 1928 and marched singing and rejoicing up Main Street to their new church Emmanuel Methodist Episcopal Church. Emmanuel means “God With Us.” In 1939, the word Episcopal was dropped with the union of Methodist Episcopal, Methodist Episcopal South, and the Methodist Protestant Churches. In 1968, with the union of the Methodist Church and Evangelical United Brethren, our name became Emmanuel United Methodist Church.
 
 
Back To The Future
 
 
Binding past, present, and yet to come, in one
meaningful expression of our Christian Community

The words below are treasures drawn from the December 30, 1928 Emmanuel Methodist Episcopal Church “Dedicatory Opening Booklet.” It seems as though the hearts of the congregation then are in concert with ours now as we use every “today” as a passage into tomorrow.
 
 
“The Sanctuary with its immediate touch with the educational and social sides provides for the preservation of all those free evangelical expressions of the experimental religious life of former days found in the informal worship and devotional activities. It further affords opportunity to draw from a far distant past those beautiful ritualistic elements of worship that made for dignity and strength. To these two forms of worship it will add the aggressive spirit of this moving age and mold the whole together into a majestic and brilliant life of devout and reverent worship filled with a warm comradeship in religious experience. Thus it will conserve the best of the heart life in true and real Christian emotional experience.”
      
 
 
 
 

 

 

 Address

75 East Avenue

Lockport, NY 14094

 

phone 716-433-2838

fax 716-433-4449

email lkptemmanl@aol.com

 

 

 
 
 
For Devotionals click on the link below:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Greetings from the Emmanuel United Methodist Church family. Emmanuel is a diverse and growing congregation, which provides a variety of opportunities to nurture your spiritual growth and discipleship. We not only serve our members; our doors are open to the entire community through worship, fellowship, and our various ministries.
Our worship services feature a biblically based sermon and include special music and a special time for children. Worshippers are encouraged to share in moments of joy and concern as part of our prayer ministry. The sacrament of Holy Communion is observed the first Sunday of each month.